Saturday, January 05, 2008

ABC's

Let me start by saying that this post is by no means a "bragging" post. It's just a post of excitement and amazement. You see, Kamdyn is doomed her first 4-5 years of life with me being a PreK teacher. I look for everything and I compare everything that she can and cannot do to my 4 year olds at school. Yesterday, I was attempting to "organize" all of her toys (see previous post). In doing so, I pulled out some toys that my friend, Debra, had let us borrow. There were two toys that I thought were age appropriate for her and that I thought she would enjoy. One is the Elmo letter toy and the other is the shape pop up toy that you will see in the video. Anyway, I literally had it out for 10 minutes and had showed her a few specific letters (K, I, C, and E.) I chose these because she could relate to them since they are things that she likes. A few minutes later (3-4) I called her back over to me and asked her to show me where these letters were. To my extreme astonishment she remembered all 4 of them!! My amazement comes from the fact that a few of my students in my class still do not know 4 letters in the alphabet much less would they be able to pick them out after only 10 minutes of instruction. At least now I know that it's not because I'm a bad teacher! :) Also, I am not so naive as to think that Kamdyn will be able to pick these letters out in every book, magnet, situation, etc.; however, she did impress in this brief "mini" lesson.

You have to overlook her brief bouts of stubborness in the video. She is obsessed with seeing herself on the camera and refuses to do most things that I ask her to do when the camera is on.


0 comments: