Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy Veteran's Day

I make it a point each year to be sure that my girls wear red, white, and blue each Veteran's Day.  I talk to them about the importance of Veteran's Day and why we have a special day for it.  This year seemed a little more sentimental though.  After my Daddy died, I went through all of the pictures at my Mom's house.  I found my Dad's basic training book (I guess this is what it's called) from when he was in the army.  It was kind of like an annual.  It had all of those soldiers who graduated with him.  My Dad's funeral was the first funeral that I had been to where the military played TAPS, the flag was folded, and soldiers were there to salute.  It truly was the most touching graveside funeral I had been to and not just because it was my Dad's.  I had never been prouder to be an American than on that day and I don't think I had ever been more proud of my Daddy than at that moment. He was drafted into the Army.  Back then young men didn't have a choice.  However, he was proud to serve his country and he certainly loved the USA.

My Mom sent me this photo of his plaque at the cemetery.  They had placed flags on all of the Veteran's graves just before Veteran's Day.   I haven't been back to the cemetery since his funeral.  I'm not sure that I am ready just yet.  But I sure loved his headstone that read US Army, Vietnam, Loving Husband, Father, and Pop Pop.  We was all of that and more and I'm proud that he was my Daddy!






0 comments: