Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Poor Sweet Angel

As mentioned this weekend, Kamdyn was running a low grade fever. She has had this low grade fever on and off for 4 days. I called the doctor's office yesterday. The nurse said that since she didn't have any other symptoms aside from being tired and "not herself" to just give her a little Tylenol and watch her. Well, that's what I had been doing, still figuring she was teething. Keep in mind that Kamdyn has NEVER been sick aside from a little runny nose and a few coughs. No infections or anything major. Today Georgia called to tell me that Kamdyn's temp went to 101.5 and she had a rash on her abdomen, moving up her neck and to her face. PANIC!!! I immediately called the doctor and got an appt.

We couldn't see our "regular" pediatrician, but another doctor checked Kamdyn out from head to toe. He said, "I can't believe she hasn't been screaming about her ear. She has a really bad ear infection." I wanted to HIT the floor. I should have listened to my Mommy "instinct." As verbal as she is (which he commented on), she never once said, "My ear hurts." Georgia said she only started pulling on her ear and slightly complaining today. I felt so guilty! He went on to say that she probably started off with a viral infection which is most probably the cause of the rash and that the ear infection just really "hit" her today. He asks if she is allergic to any meds. I say, "Not that we know of.......she's NEVER taken an antibiotic before." He looked at me as if I were an alien, but it is true.

We go to Food Lion to pick up the antibiotic. I attempt to give it to her as soon as I got home. I remember LOVING the pink bubble gum medicine as a child. I start giving her a teaspoon of it a little at a time and she starts throwing up EVERYWHERE. Apparently the thickness of it gagged her and that was IT! Nope, never thrown up before either. Oh, did I mention that Richard is out of town????? I was going in to a PANIC and so was she. She had no idea what was coming out of her mouth. I get her cleaned up, the dishwasher, the floor, her clothes off and put her in the bathtub. Then, we try round 2 with the medicine. This time I decided to try the eye dropper. Kamdyn looks at me when I tell her we have to try the medicine again and says, "I don't have to!" Oh boy, I thought!!!! Where is RICHARD???? So, I put her on the counter and explain to her that she must take it in order to feel better. Thankfully, she slowly but surely takes it and keeps it down!

Now I know why Kamdyn has hardly ever been sick. My nerves can't withstand it! I truly stood back and thought about how minor Kamdyn's sickness is compared with some of my "Mommy friends" who have been through SO much with their sweet precious babies from losing a child to cancer, watching a 2 week old/2 month old have surgery, worrying if their child had Cystic Fibrosis, giving their child breathing treatments, etc., etc. These thoughts made me take a deep breath and get myself together. I realized how silly I was being to for stressing SO badly! But, I am telling you truthfully, I don't know how you mommies do it and have done it. I know God gives us an inner strength that we sometimes only find in tough situations, but I'm telling you, I really have a new appreciation and respect for all of you. You are my HEROES!!! Love and extra prayers to you ALL!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nanny's precious angel. It doesn't matter how minor or how big, or even how old your child is, you always panic and you always worry. Hopefully after 24 hours of medicine our little angel will be back to her "spicy" little self. You do a wonderful job Kimberly - just trust your instincts - you know her better than anyone.

Jennifer said...

Poor baby....she'll be alright soon. Call your mom, remember she's been there :)

Amy Wallace said...

Those ear infections are tough...both boy's have only had one a piece and we found out about them both at a WELL check...I was clueless and did not even suspect it! IT is so hard to see them hurting isn't it? When they are sick we feel even worse don't we? Just hold your sweet baby and give her kisses from us. They are only little for a little while...how long can we kiss away their boo boo's?

Lee Wilkes said...

I feel for you Kimberly!! Parker has a HORRIBLE gag reflex and I cannot tell you the number of times he has thrown up on me when I am giving him medicine! He is finally old enough that I can sort of talk him through it and he knows not that he always has something to drink to wash down the yuckie medicine. I hope Kamdyn feels better soon. It is so hard to watch them and not be able to "fix" it! It's our nature to want to make it all better!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing...I used to get really bad ear infections as a kid (I remember one very vividly bc it hurt so bad), so hopefully Kamdyn will get to feeling better soon!