Sunday, December 16, 2007

Potty Time

I posted in the summer that I bought Kamdyn a potty. She picked out the Dora potty, of course, but we haven't really made a big deal about the potty. It's just been sitting in the bathroom. Occasionally she will make mention of the "potty," but for the most part she has been adamant about not using the potty. She will say, "I want Mommy to put on me diaper." I haven't pushed the issue because I don't want her to be scared of the potty. However, in the past week or so, she has voluntarily been sitting on the potty (with her clothes on, of course). We have praised and encouraged her immensely for this "accomplishment," small as it may be. Kamdyn LOVES stickers. Her Dora potty came with incentive stickers to give when she uses the potty. Today, Kamdyn, sat on the potty without her diaper. She didn't actually use it, but she sat on it nevertheless. I feel that we have made a HUGE stride in potty training. She chose an orange sticker, but later decided that she wanted a pink sticker. It was an issue at first, but I explained to her that when she sat on the potty again without her diaper and actually "used" the potty that she could have a pink sticker. I told her that Santa may bring her some "big girl" panties and that he may even bring her some pink Princess stickers if she started using the potty. She seemed excited about this, so we will see how she does. Before her nap today, she said to me, "No pee pee in the diaper, Mommy. Pee pee in the potty!" I was so happy to hear her say this. If anyone has any suggestions on potty training, please clue me in! I know that all techniques and tricks do not work on all babies, especially Kamdyn; however, I am willing to try.

Giving tangible rewards kind of goes against my grain as far as teaching and my classroom management philosophy goes. I will try the stickers now to see how they work with potty training. I want her to go the potty because its the right thing to do, not because she thinks she should get something everytime she goes! I feel the same for behaving! I'm just not really into "bribes" or the infamous words, "if you do ______, then I'll give you ________." Potty training may change my mind though!!! To be continued...................


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best advice - she will know when she is ready

Anonymous said...

Kamdyn continues to remind me so much of McCanless. We didn't force the potty training issue either, but when she was about 16 months old she became interested, then it passed. A few months went by and she wanted to give it another try. Once she realized that she didn't have to wear wet diapers, it clicked. She was so easy to potty train!

During the "potty training" period, as short lived as it was (thank goodness) I bought one pack of pull-ups, but ended up throwing away most of them. After being successful with the potty, she was pleased but knew that when she had a pull up on, she could have "accidents." When she wore big girl panties, she NEVER had accidents! (EVER, I swear) I think the thought of her tee-teeing on Cinderella upset her too much to let it happen! ;) Good Luck!