My cell phone rang last Tuesday afternoon around 2:30. It was an unknown number from Raleigh, NC. Normally, I never answer calls from those that I do not know; however, something told me on this particular day that I should......
It was Richard. His voice was low and different. I knew immediately that something was wrong and I said, "What's wrong?" My heart was already beating out of my chest as I prepared myself for his answer. I knew that he was okay and that was most important. But, he told me that he was at the ER with broken ribs. WHAT??? And, that I needed to come and get him at the hospital. The hospital that he didn't know the name to. He said, "It's Brier something." I was a little in panic mode at this point, but figured that I could google it and find out.
My mind was on fast forward. Karcie was napping. Kamdyn and Sydney were downstairs working on a school project. School had been cancelled that day due to ice. I wondered how I would tell Kamdyn WITHOUT her completely freaking out.....because that's what she does! And, freak out is exactly what she did even though I reassured that her Daddy was just fine. She cried and cried!
I called Sydney's Mom, Stacey. She came down and hung out with Syd and Kamdyn while Karcie continued to nap. She helped me figure out what hospital that I was going to. Have I mentioned how great our new neighbors are? I have NO WORDS to describe them.
I finally made it to the hospital after what seemed like the longest drive EVER to Raleigh. He was in a hospital gown, but still had on work pants and his shoes. I know how bad he HATES hospitals and has always made me promise that I will never leave him at a hospital alone. When I found out that the ambulance had to take him to the hospital and gave him an IV with pain meds, (Richard doesn't do needles!) I knew that he must have been hurting!
{Let's start from the beginning}
Richard left for work around 12:30. The roads were icy and schools were closed. His boss was in town and he had a meeting that he wanted to attend. Turns out, he never made it to said meeting. (Remember I got the call at 2:30? He went through this for two hours without me knowing!!) Anywho, he parked in the parking garage at work. He was running late so he was hurrying with computer in one hand and cell phone in the other. The parking garage was covered and dark. Would you think there would be ice there? Wrong! Poor thing fell on a patch of ice onto his left side cracking his ribs, bruising his elbow, and crushing his new phone. Luckily, there was a guy in his car that saw Richard fall. He got out and ran to get security who then called the GSK nurse that was on site. She called EMS.
Richard said that he couldn't even talk it hurt so badly. He had on his work badge which was how they figured out his name.
{What's Happening Now}
The first few days were ROUGH!! He couldn't get up and down. Sleeping in the bed was impossible. After several days of continuous pain medication, he is feeling a little better. He is still sleeping in his recliner downstairs because he can get in and out of it pretty easily. But, he is on the mend says the doctor at his follow-up appointment yesterday.
All I can say is that I am so ready for Winter to say it's good-byes. It has been a wild and woolly winter. I am ready for some beautiful Spring weather to hit Apex, NC so that we can swim, boat, and relax. I am so thankful for the guy sitting in his car that got help for Richard. Accidents are scary and this one could have been so much worse. Darn ice!! Be Gone Winter!
Family Fun
2 years ago


3 comments:
Poor Precious - hope you are feeling better!
Lots of prayers for quick healing!
Oh no! I've heard that broken ribs is very painful! I hope he is feeling better soon! In the meantime, Carter says to tell you that R will be pushing the lawn mower in no time. ;)
Post a Comment