On Wednesday night we discovered that the hard drive on our computer that we store EVERYTHING on went bad. To say that I had a "fit" would be a complete understatement. Luckily, we backed most everything up (i.e. pictures) exactly one year ago. Unfortunately, all of the pictures and small video clips from this past year were LOST! I sobbed knowing that a years worth of pictures and my sweet 3 year-olds voice were gone!
After a night without sleep and a day of mourning, I came to the realization that it could have been worse. I could have lost everything, birth-3 1/2. Thankfully, blogger saves ALL of the pictures that I post on the blog to Picasa web albums AND I can download them back to my computer! All of the times that I sat for hours waiting on my numerous pictures to post, suddenly seems worth it. Otherwise, I would not have them. I am now praising myself for not being about to choose "a few" pictures to post. Usually, I post most all of them. If only I could have those videos back.
I also lost ALL of my school work over the past 9 years which is really upsetting. Again, I was finally able to see the bright side after my HUGE meltdown because I do have hard copies of most of these documents. I just have to retype them when/if needed. :(
My advice to ALL of you is to back up your pictures/files frequently. Mine will forever be backed up monthly! With digital photos we don't even print copies as often as we used to. We take for granted that computers store information forever. Never trust a computer!
We could pay $800 to try to have the files recovered. I am still debating over this! What do you think? Is it worth $800?
Family Fun
2 years ago


5 comments:
What a nightmare!!!! I would be very upset too! I know you are glad to have this blog! We will take your advice here:)
I'm planning the back up for this weekend :) PS I also sent a dvd copy of all my pictures to my parents' house last year when I did my back up....so that there was copies elsewhere ;) Good luck! I sent you a text....
Oh my, i have a huge fear of this happening. I try to copy things to an external hard drive, burn them to CD, AND upload to shutterfly periodically, but am not as good as keeping up with that as I need to be. Thanks for the reminder!
So glad that you have all the pictures you keep on the blog!!!
Panic. Is. Right. We have been there, I totally know what you are going through. We decided that it was worth it to recover. But when we took the computer to the Geeks, they couldn't recover them anyway. Good luck.
Yes, Yes, Yes, please.
Post a Comment