Wednesday, August 24, 2016

School Class Assignment Drama

This post is documentation for Kamdyn.

We got home from GWL and Kamdyn ran straight to the mailbox.  We knew that their  class assignments were waiting on us.  Kamdyn got a new to Scott's Ridge teacher.  She was happy to NOT get one specific  teacher.  All was great until she found out one of her favorite friends wasn't in her class.  Then, we got news that a 2nd favorite friend wasn't in her class.  Friend 1 and 2 were in the SAME class.  The final blow was when we heard that her third favorite friend wasn't in her class and was in the SAME CLASS as friend 1 and 2.  Yikes!

Kamdyn was hysterical.  We heard everything from "This is going to be the worst year ever!" to "I don't want to go to school!" to "This is NOT FAIR!"  You name it, we heard it.

I started freaking out a bit because Kamdyn has never not wanted to go to school.  My inner "mama bear" wanted to fix this for her.  Who do I call?  Who do I email?  Even her Daddy was thinking that we should do something.  

I heard all kinds of things like...."The 4th grade teachers made the class lists for 5th grade." I thought this was false because I had been texting her 4th grade teacher all afternoon asking for advice.  I knew her 4th grade teacher loved her and wouldn't separate her from all of her friends that were in her class.  Nevertheless, I was still sad for my baby!

Here's what I was thinking:
1.  We moved to Apex half way through the 1st grade.  That's kind of traumatic to move schools in the middle of the year, but Kamdyn conquered it like a champ!

2.  We were only at Olive Chapel for 2.5 year and were then rezoned for Scott's Ridge.  Sydney was really the only friend she had that was moving to the new school.  Luckily, they got in the same class for 4th grade and then Sydney moved.  Kamdyn made several great friends at Scott's Ridge in her class last year, but now they were all together in a different 5th grade class.

3. Now she's in a 5th grade with none of her friends.  She barely even knew one person in there.  

4.  She will go to her middle school for ONE year before moving to the new middle school that we will be zoned for.  That's enough to make any kid (and mama) crazy!! 

Major Mommy guilt was creeping in and I was letting it get the best of me.  I called my neighbor.  I talked to the Moms of the friends who all ended up together.  Richard and I chatted.  

I also poured myself some wine.  

The wine helped me to get a grip.  I STOPPED the drama.

I realized that this was not the end of the world.  Instead, it was the REAL WORLD!!  At that moment I knew that I was not going to fix this for her.  I knew she would make new friends.  I knew it was great to have new friends considering that she would be going to middle school in one year (gasp!!).  She would have a lot of different people in her classes in middle school.  She still gave me such a hard time.  She understood where I was coming from, but the little girl inside of her was so very sad to be without her friends who all ended up together.  

Fast forward to being in school for a month in a half....

I am happy to report that her Daddy and I did make the right decision.  She adores her teacher and is making several sweet new friends.  We all learned a lot through this.  I hope that Kamdyn will look back at this post one day and will be proud of herself.  I hope that she will be proud of me for not getting her out of something that simply made her uncomfortable.  The real world is tough and it's not getting easier.    This situation helped her to learn to deal with struggle, heartache, and disappointment.  We all experience a lifetime of these emotions.  We have to teach our children how to deal with them at an early age.  

Kamdyn Lucy, I love you and I am so proud to be your Mom. You put on your best happy face and held your head high on that first of school and the second, third, fourth, and fifth days.  After about a week, you were content with where God had placed you.  We prayed for Him to take care of you and to help you meet new friends.  He did.  He will never leave you and He loves you more than I do which is VERY hard to imagine!!  You are going to move mountains one day, big girl, and I can't wait to watch your little life unfold.  



0 comments: