Friday, March 27, 2015

A Mom's Rite of Passage


Look how precious these first photos are.  The guys in our neighborhood were having poker night so Colleen, the kids, and I got together at her house for dinner, drinks, and playtime.  It all looks and sounds so fun and sweet!!  AND, it was!!  I was oblivious to the fact that in a few shorts hours my night was about to get flipped upside down.  

We left Colleen's around 9:00.  I got the kids teeth brushed and their PJ's on.  I was rocking Karcie while saying her prayers and she told me that her tummy was hurting.  I didn't think a thing about it.  I put her to bed and I went to bed shortly after.  

Around midnight, I heard a door squeak open and assumed it was Richard coming home.  I kept hearing noises and realized that it was coming from Karcie's room.  She stood beside my bed and said, "Mommy, my bed is wet!"  THEN, I got a horrible whiff of her and knew immediately that she had thrown up.  It was the most putrid smell ever.  I still had no idea!

I went in to her room to find her and her bed covered.  I will spare you some of the details, but I felt so horrible.  She had tried to clean herself and her bed up using almost an entire box of wet wipes that we kept on her dresser.  Needless to say, that cute little box was thrown away because it had yucky throw up all over it.  I also didn't know until the next day that she had hidden dirty wet wipes in her closet, behind her bed, and all over her room.  I guess she didn't really know what had happened.  Maybe she thought she had pooped in her bed.  I don't know, but it broke my heart that she was up trying to clean it up by herself.

Anyway, I stripped her bed.  Got her in the bathtub and texted for Richard to come home and help. Did I mention that Kamdyn's birthday part was the following day at 10 AM at the skating rink!!  WHAT?!?!?  There are 365 days in a year.  Why?

Well, I still didn't know what was to come.  I thought she just had an upset tummy....maybe ate/drank too much before bed.  We got the bed changed and Karcie bathed.  We put her back into bed.  We got into bed.  Not 10 minutes later she threw up in her bed again.  I also forgot to mention that I've been a Mom for 9 wonderful years and I've never had to endure a stomach bug.  Kamdyn has thrown up probably twice or three times in her life, but never more than once at a time.  Get ready, Mom, because the stomach bug just entered YOUR house!!

My sweet girl was up every 30 minutes to an hour throwing up.  It was so pitiful!  I felt so helpless.  I slept in the floor by her crib.  She would wake up and say, "I gotta go!"  I would whisk her away to the bathroom and she would get sick in the toilet.  She was so weak and tired.  I was so tired!!  (WAIT, I've got a 9th birthday party to get to at 10:00 AM!!   I've had less than one hour of total sleep and it was while sleeping on the floor.)  Surely, this was going to go away soon.Oh, but no!!  By 6:00 AM, I got Richard out of bed so he could tend to her and so that I could sleep until 7:30. I was up showered and ready to go by 9:30.  Richard stayed home with Karcie.  I hated for the two of them to miss Kamdyn's party.  We didn't have a choice.

Poor Kamdyn heard the commotion all night, too.  Nothing was going to stop her from being excited about her party though!  10 little girls were ready to skate in a LOUD skating rink.  I couldn't wait!!  Luckily, all I had to do was show up and pay my money.  All of the details were taken care of.  It was the easiest party ever!!




Kamdyn and I came home to one sick little girl.  She and Richard napped in my bed until almost 1:30.  Richard got up to take Kamdyn to our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  365 days in a year!  Why?  Karcie had to miss the Egg Hunt, too.  I jumped in the bed with her and she and I slept until around 4:30.  I knew she was sick because she NEVER, EVER lays down to take a nap with anyone.  She's just too busy!  At 4:30, I convinced her to get up and drink some juice.  It stayed down and she didn't throw up after around 9:00 AM.  She was running a low grade fever so I gave her some Motrin.  Within a few short minutes she started to perk up.


Then we were going through her goody bag from Kamdyn's party.  We were playing with the crazy vampire teeth.  It was good to see her personality peeking back through.  

I got in on the vampire action, too.

She was still puny and would not eat for several days, but she was back to her normal self by the following day at noon.  Luckily, no one else in our family got it!  It was a miracle.  Maybe it was because I washed everything in the house immediately and bleached all of the bathrooms.  Be gone stomach bug.  I hope we NEVER see you again!!  I survived my rite of passage, but barely!


0 comments: