Those were the pitiful words that I heard last night through a glass door at dancing. Those words were accompanied with a quivering lip and tears. My tiny dancer made it through the first part of dance class which was the ballet part. She did so great! I even teared up one time as she danced across the floor by herself following her teacher's lead. However, as they were getting ready to change in to their tap shoes, she slowly made her way to the waiting room door with her pitiful plea for me to save her. I took her into the waiting room with me and changed her in to her tap shoes. She said, "I"m tired, Mommy. I want to go home." I reminded her of the HUGE dance sticker that she would be missing out on if she went home. She finally calmed down and decided to try again.
The teachers were wonderful with her and tried desperately to make her feel better. She started the first tap song and look so cute tapping her little foot. But, to my dismay, she only made it halfway through the song and started crying again. This time, I took her out and told her that we could go home and try again next week. I told her that she did great and that it was okay to be tired and go home. Then, she started screaming to the top of her lungs as we made our way to the car yelling, "I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME! I WANT TO STAY! I WANT MY 'TICKER'!" UGH!!!!!!!!! What to do??? We went home despite her ear piercing scream. I explained to her that she could try again next week and that she could get her sticker if she danced the ENTIRE time. She finally calmed down and said, "I'll get my 'ticker' next time, Mommy."
Trying to understand a two-year-old........IMPOSSIBLE!!!
Family Fun
2 years ago


4 comments:
I HEAR YOU THERE!! It is so hard when you can't reason with them. It is hard to know the "right" decision to make in each situation. This is a wonderful, yet challenging, age:)
Nanny's precious darling - you did exactly the right thing. She knows when she is tired from playing so hard all day.
I feel like I shouldn't comment since I'm not a mommy...
Still, my thought process is this...
I think you did the right thing because eventually, children have to learn that they can't go back and forth with what they 'want' to do. Maybe I'm wrong though, bc Kamdyn is only 2...still, tired is tired... We have ALL been there. Keep up the great work, Kim...
Love you guys.♦
Oh, wow, have I been there. In fact, at 4 now, McCanless did the same thing at gymnastics last week. However, her excuse was that her gymnastics leotard was too tight. "I want to go home!!" (Secretly, I knew she, too, was tired.) As soon as we left, she screamed to go back. I shouldn't have, but we went back. Again, same scenario. My mistake!
I would love to tell you that it is a 2 year old thing, but I think we both are in it for the long haul. When these hard-headed, determined girls get something on their minds... You better believe that they want it their way, and make no qualms about letting everyone know it too! I just breathe and go with what I know my strong willed baby girl needs. ;)
Post a Comment