My Mom mailed some photos to me not long ago of me and my Daddy. He's been sick for 8 long years. Between lung cancer, COPD, dementia, heart issues, etc., he just can't catch a break. It's been hardest on my Mom as she has dealt with the day to day daunting task of seeing that his needs are met. Tons of doctors appointments, numerous hospitals stays, and daily care take up most of her time. And, she still works full time.
I've gone through all of the emotions of this sickness....denial, anger, grief for both of my Mom and Dad, and I think I am finally starting to get to the acceptance phase. Let's face it, seeing anyone suffer is hard. But seeing someone you love suffer is AWFUL! It's sometimes hard to separate the sickness from the person. You forget how things used to be.
The photos that my Mom sent helped me to remember all of the fun times that I had with my Daddy. Most everyone knows me to be a "Mama's Girl," (and I am) but when I was little, I was a "Daddy's girl!" My Daddy always worked hard for our family. We went on week long family vacations every single year of my life that I can remember. He was a good Daddy! He was always at any event I was in.....the never ending dance recitals, piano recitals, football games when I cheered, basketball games, etc. He used to work out of town a lot and would even drive home from places as far away at Tennessee to see me play basketball to turn around and drive back.
Although things haven't turned out at all as I had hoped, I am thankful for him, his love, and the person that he helped me to become. I am glad that my girls know him despite the fact that he has been sick since they were born.
As I watch this sickness take over his life, I thank God for the memories that I do have.


0 comments:
Post a Comment