Friday, January 28, 2011

The Neverending Fever

I never knew that a fever could last so long.  But it has.  6 long days and I hope that it is gone tonight.  Poor Kamdyn started with a fever last Saturday.  We took her to the after hours clinic on Sunday hoping that they would give her an antibiotic.  They did not.  The tests said that she didn't have strep or the flu.  So, what did she have?  A dreaded viral infection which I think they dub any sickness that they don't actually have a name for.  We were sent home with no medicine and no additional information, just a little peace of mind.

Fast forward to Wednesday.  Fever is still present and a dreaded cough has formed! I am a Mom and I am starting to get a little worried!  We take another trip to the doctor (another $25 copay), just to be told that she probably DID have the flu and the test probably gave us a false negative.  What?  Did I get any additional answers or meds after two trips to the pediatrician and $50?  No, I did not!  We were sent back home without anything....just wait it out.  24 hours later, she still had a 101 fever.

Last night, I was really starting to freak out.  Why does this fever reveal itself at night when I am not watching my baby continuously?  Thankfully, we got a new baby video monitor for Christmas (thanks Aunt Kathy and Uncle Jim) and I have really gotten some good use out of it this week.  My eyes and ears have been on the monitor for 6 nights now.  I have gotten up at least once a night to go into her room to do a temp check, give her some water, and check on her. I am tired and I know she is because she is coughing A LOT!  I would love to sleep with her and would if I weren't pregnant.  I don't think having the flu while pregnant is a good thing!!  Let's not forget that more than half of my class has been out in the past two weeks with either the flu, bronchitis, strep, or an ear infection.  AND, my poor teaching assistant worked two days sick to find out that she has the flu, too!

If I do not get the flu or some sort of sickness it will be a complete miracle!  Stayed tuned and please pray that Kamdyn gets better quickly and that her pregnant Mama doesn't get sick!!!  We've got things to do around here besides be sick!!

2 comments:

Nanny said...

Amen, Lord. Hugs for my "babies".

Betsy Marchant said...

Poor baby girl. I hope she is feeling better by now. I admit, I always want an antibiotic when I go to the doctor b/c I know he'll feel better in a day or two vs. the unknown of when you are told it's a virus. Hate that!

On a side note for you mommy...go get a flu shot if you have not already!!! Flu season is at its peak in FEBRUARY and sometimes lasts until MAY! It takes about 2 weeks to become effective, so won't help you this go around, but will protect you from the germs from those kiddos at school!