Kamdyn has been reading for about 2 1/2 months now, but I haven't gotten it on video until today. We actually had some time with the snow day. At first I was still a little hesitant to label her an actual "reader" because I still thought she had her books memorized. But, I am convinced now that she is actually reading the words. We started on sight words over a year ago. She learned about 12 and then just took off on her own recognizing words here and there. She is now sounding words out on her own and has started figuring out irregular rules such as the silent e on the end of words, silent beginning sounds such as the k in knife, and the ph that makes the /f/ sound as in phone. When she comes to one of those words she will say, "There's one of those crazy words." I am amazed at how quickly she has caught on. I have taught children her age for ten years now and I have never seen a child pick up reading as quickly as she has. I am proud, but it's not anything we've really done. She was determined to learn! Most days she can be found with a book instead of any toy that we have in our house. She is a bookworm and we are very proud of her!
Here she is reading one of her easier books. She chose to read this one for the camera. I am amazed at her intonation while she reads. She doesn't really sound like a robot like some children do when they first learn to read.
Family Fun
2 years ago


3 comments:
WOW!!! Go Kamdyn!!
So proud of you Kamdyn. You are such a smart little girl! I'm so glad you love to read!
Wow! She's doing great! I know you're so proud of her:)
Post a Comment