Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Back to Reality

Boy, was I hit smack in the face with reality today. Yes, I had to join the rest of the world again and go back to work!! I have a new outlook this year and I am going to try REALLY hard not to let work and my "kids" stress me like I normally do. I am also going to try to leave "work" at work instead of bringing it home. That being said, my day started off just as planned - CALM. Kamdyn and I got out the door on time as planned and we were not rushed in the least. We are on the way to Georgia's and I am talking to Kamdyn just as if she is a grown-up. I'm telling her that "Mommy has to go back to school again. You won't be staying with Mommy all day anymore. You will be staying with Mrs. Georgia. Mommy will be back to pick you up and I will miss you so much!" I am tearing up just telling Kamdyn all of this and my little 16 month old looks at me in the rear view mirror and says "And, no 'tying'" (Remember, she can't make the /k/ sound, so this meant "And, no crying.") I always tell her this when I leave her at Jazzercize, with Daddy, with Nanny and Pop Pop, Grand, etc. I knew she was just finishing what I normally say to her, but today I took it as her way of telling me not to cry or be upset. She was going to be okay and so would I! I started laughing in the car at her and my tears quickly dried. I knew that we would both be okay and all the crying in the world wouldn't change the facts. So, my day is still going quite well at 7:30 when I drop her off. Kamdyn tells me "bye, bye" without a tear and I'm off to work. I am greeted at the door by my custodian telling me "I've got bad news!" I wanted to get right back in my car and drive home before I even hear what he has to say because I knew it was going to be bad! And, it was! He says, " Your air is not working and I don't know when they will be back to fix it!" I, keeping with my new school year motto, take a deep breath and say, "Are we talking days or weeks?" Anyone who knows me know how hot natured I am and this was the hottest day of the year (106 with heat index). He says, "Probably a couple of days." I decide to suck it up, go get my fan, and move on. I didn't get air by the end of the day, but I felt better because I did not have a "fit". I decided to give them some time to fix it. Besides, I can't change anybody else and their actions, I can only change myself and my reactions. I lived (barely) and I will get through it tomorrow if need be. But, I am going to have to work hard at telling myself, just as Kamdyn told me this morning, "no tying" which can also mean whining, fussing, etc., because I'm going to have a good year. There are no other choices!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is Good and God is Great - but
sometimes life isn't!!!! Good for
you my KIM!!! I'm very proud of you - hope your air is repaired TODAY!
If Kamdyn follows in your footsteps, you will be a very BLESSED MOMMY - AND I SHOULD KNOW BECAUSE I AM BLESSED TO BE YOUR MOM!!!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope they fix the air soon...if not they might move you out of the room??

Jennifer