Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My FAVORITE TEACHER!!

My trip to Augusta was a surprise for my precious friend, Denise, who was chosen as the Teacher of the Year at her school. After being chose on the school level, you write a 10 page paper describing your adventures in teaching.  The county chooses 5 Top Finalists!  Denise was chosen as a finalist for the 2nd time!  We were bummed a few years ago when she didn't win Teacher of the Year for the County.  I just KNEW that this was HER year!!  When she asked me about getting a ticket, I told her that I didn't see how I could make it work.  I didn't know how scheduling would be for Richard's work and how he would manage to get Kamdyn to and from school and her activities.  After I mulled it over for a while, I decided that I couldn't miss Denise's BIG night.  I had a gut feeling she was going to win!  I secretly purchased my own ticket.  I ran into her husband Al as I was walking into the Riverfront Marriott that night.  He almost fell over when he saw me because no one had an idea that I was coming.  He walked me in to find Denise!  She started screaming and jumping up and down.  My plan was a success!

I cried when they announced her name as the winner.  Denise is so deserving!  She and I have shared so many "teacher" stories along the way. She was the first sweet face that greeted me and took me to lunch when I went completed new teacher orientation in Augusta in 2001.  She was the BEST mentor, friend, and cheerleader to me.  I never would have made it 12 years in Richmond County without this positive and upbeat lady!  People just do not realize what teachers go through on a daily basis.  Her acceptance speech was PERFECT!!  It spoke to all teachers and administrators in a way that only Denise can get away with. :)  She spoke her professional TRUTH!!  Only Denise can tell you the honest truth with a smile on her face and leave you wondering if she was fussing or being nice.  She's a gem and I'm proud to call her FRIEND!!



When she first saw me!

HUGS!!

Pointing to our friend, Suzanne.  She just knew that Suzanne had known I was coming.  I kept a GOOD secreat!

My former principal, Mrs. Bailey, with Denise and me.  Denise is still in shock!  :)

Me, Denise, and Suzanne.  Suzanne is my other AWESOME Augusta friend.  Love these two more than words can describe!

Chatting with Denise's principal prior to the start of the event.

Love my friend!

And this one, too!

The Turner Family. They truly do not make folks more genuine than this family.  I. Love. Them.

Suzanne, Denise, Debra (my former teaching assistant for 8 years!), and me.
My Wheeless Road Elementary friends.  We parted ways several years ago, but our friendships remain. 

My favorite photo of the night!  

So glad I made it to Augusta to witness Denise receiving such a great and well-deserved honor!

0 comments: