Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our BIG Kindergartener

I am still a little bit in shock that Kamdyn has actually started Kindergarten.  This was such a busy week for us.  I hardly had time to take a breath.  With my starting a new grade and Kamdyn starting school all on the same day at the same school, I don't feel as if I got to really take everything in.  I was so anxious about my first day that I barely got to appreciate Kamdyn's first day of Kindergarten.  After running around in my room for a while, I finally was able to walk Kamdyn down to her class.  She was ready!  I was not!  As I took her picture several times and tried to help her get settled, she looked up at me and said, "Mom, why are you treating me like I am in 4K?"  As I gave her a kiss and told her to have a good day, I walked away with tears in my eyes.  I wasn't ready for Kamdyn to go to Kindergarten and I wasn't sure that I was ready to teach a new grade either.  Emotions were HIGH!  However, we both did fine.  I think we both did better than we ever expected!  Kamdyn did have one minor "mommy moment" on Friday at lunch.  She had to come and see me because she was missing me.  I think it's because she wasn't feeling up to par.  Her favorite part of each day is going to Spanish.  I think because it challenges her the most.  After Day 1 Mrs. Graham came to me and said, "We are definitely going to have to find some enrichment activities for Kamdyn."  I knew that was coming, but didn't want to sound too presumptuous before she got started.  Mrs. Graham has already tested her on the 2nd and 3rd grade dolch sight word list, which Kamdyn read without error.  I am sure the 4th grade list is next.  Not sure what we will do to keep her from getting bored, but we are working on a plan.  She reads the morning message to her class each morning.  And, she has been reading a chapter book to her class one chapter at a time.  We are so proud of her!  We know she is smart, but it's nice for someone else to confirm!  :)
By the end of the week, we were both exhausted.  Kamdyn had already caught a cold (remember, she is NEVER sick) and I was getting the sniffles.  By Saturday, Richard, Kamdyn, and I all had a cold.  While Kamdyn's was getting better, ours was just getting started.  Taking medicine while nursing is frowned upon, but I couldn't go any longer.  Karcie is having to get by with bottles for a little while.  It's Sunday and it's time to get ready for another exhausting week at Lake Forest Hills.  I am ready and can't say enough about how happy I am to have Kamdyn at school with me.  This is going to be a great year!  I just know it!!

Kamdyn's new back-to-school outfit!


New big girl book bag!

Mrs. Graham and Kamdyn

Playing with the playdoh at her table.  This was about the time when said, "Mom, why are you treating me like I am in 4K?"

1 comments:

Nanny said...

Can you post a picture together with 3K so I can see. I cannot believe how fast she has grown! Beautiful outfit as usual.