Summer could not really take place without our annual trip to the Black River in Georgetown with our awesome group of friends. This year was a little different. Instead of driving straight to "The River" from North Augusta, Richard got a wild hair and decided that we would take our boat to "The River" from Charleston via the Intercoastal Waterway. So, we did just that! We spent the night in Charleston and began our boat cruise on Thursday morning promptly at 8:00.
Richard is such a planner so there was no need for worries. We had everything we needed. Batteries were charged. All navigational equipment was working properly. All that Omar, Shannon, and I needed to do was get on the boat and enjoy the leisurely ride. RIGHT!!
After about two hours into the ride on the ICW Richard noticed some red fish splashing around. He decided to turn the boat around and "wet a line." Just as he looks down to get a rod, he notices that the engine is turning but we aren't moving. Yep, we are stuck! It was low tide and this freshwater fisherman just isn't used to the salt water tides. Shannon said, "Where's your paddle?" Richard replied, "I don't need a paddle, I got a Yamaha!" Poor Shannon threw on his almost new Rainbow flip flops and jumped in the water which was VERY brave of him. He tried to push us off but sunk up to his knees in plough mud. And don't let me forget to mention that baby jellyfish were swimming ALL around him. I was trying not to freak out. I sat down in the back of the boat and kept my mouth shut. Shannon finally got us out of the mud, but then our the engine wouldn't start. Turns out it had overheated! PANIC really set in for me, but I tried to stay calm, yet again, and I kept my mouth shut. A nice little old man and lady drove past us and graciously offered us a tow. As our luck would have it the tow line broke as they were pulling us. Just as I was officially about to have a breakdown, Richard tried the engine once more and it started!
We were able to enjoy our leisurely ride to The River Room in Georgetown for lunch. We made it back to the river house and we didn't have any more trouble out of the boat. It appears to be just fine. Apparently the Yamaha just doesn't like to plow up plough mud. Even though I could have done without all of the scares along the way, it certainly made for some comical conversations the rest of the weekend.
Our view that morning prior to the drama!
Omar was making fun of me for taking pictures!!
Love this one!
Shannon was trying to pull his feet out of the plough mud AND keep his flip flops!
I didn't get a picture of the tow boat because I was in a tizzy by that time! Here are the boys after our adventure.
The dead snake we saw. We also saw lots of alligators swimming around!
Shannon and I were finally enjoying the ride. He was worn out!
Matthew and I enjoying at day on the River.
Allison and Holly were awesome! They were real troopers the entire weekend even though they are pregnant!
Holly has to give Richard a hug and a kiss every time she sees him because he just loves it so much! :)
Our "family" about to enjoy a delicious Beaufort Boil dinner.
The pictures from us actually floating on the river will have to wait until The Year In Review Video comes out in 2011! The photos weren't really blog "appropriate!" :)
Family Fun
2 years ago


1 comments:
Ok, the only two words I can remember from this post are "snake" and "aligators" (which was posted in the plural)
eeeek. :)
Post a Comment